Event DetailsMonday May 4, 2020 5:00 pm via Zoom
The ninth installment of the Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series with Timothy Michael Cooper.
Convey what you’re genuinely passionate about by building in strong sociopolitical and personal messages, themes, and takeaways, WITHOUT being didactic or dry. Add true emotional resonance and power to any script!
Some of the topics and techniques we’ll cover include:
- Why EVERY script should revolve around a personal message
- Top 10 secrets to making dreaded exposition go down easy
- Expertly incorporate the metaphors of sci-fi, fantasy, and other worlds in your work
- Create exciting visual, external, and tangible goals using the S.M.A.R.T. rubric
- Masterful use of irony as a tool for teaching
- Best methods to “camouflage” any lesson
- Surprising ways your antagonist can actually be your mouthpiece
- 5 techniques to approach “impossible,” highly divisive subjects
- Tips to treat EVERY character with dignity and respect
…and a whole lot more. Hope to see you online!
Timothy Michael Cooper is an award-winning filmmaker, comedy writer, and script consultant. He wrote and directed the Writers Guild Award-nominated Concierge: The Series, starring Kate McKinnon. His short comedy Lemon premiered at Tribeca, played at dozens of international festivals and on United Airlines, and is currently in development as a sitcom. Plus, he’s been part of the writers’ room for the Writers Guild Awards for the past six years, writing monologue jokes and sketches for numerous hosts/presenters.
Through his company, Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he’s taught hundreds of writers. His clients and students have sold their scripts to major studios; staffed on multiple network and cable TV shows; screened/won at SXSW, Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes, etc.; and got their movies and shows made across the globe.
Timothy is a proud member of the WGAE, the Brooklyn Filmmakers Collective Writers’ Workshop, the Hollywood Radio & Television Society, and the WGAE Softball Team.
About The Fundamentals of Screenwriting Series
The Fundamentals of Screenwriting with Timothy Michael Cooper is a new WGA East seminar series. This series aims to live up to its name – to teach the fundamentals for screenwriters that need a refresher or journalists looking to learn for the first time.